Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Swollen Lip

The Kiddo gave me an early Christmas present last night.....a swollen lip. I would like to tell you that it was from a fun game of "rough housing", but it wasn't. I got hit in the mouth by a flying remote control. Some kids bite, some kids hit, some kids push....WMD throws. Yep, he's my child 100%.

Unfortunately for WMD, this was not my first run-in with a remote control. As soon as the rectangular piece of plastic pressed my lip into my tooth I was instantly reminded of a time when Bernadette Peters threw a remote control at my face. That one, however, was part metal. And left a HUGE bruise. Oh, how times have changed. So I guess that I'm thankful that remote control manufacturing has come a lone way in 20 years.

Like I said, unfortunately for WMD the scar from my previous encounter was still fresh (or repressed). By the look on the Kiddo's face, I'm pretty sure that my alter ego - Esmeralda - emerged in a fit of rage. I would liken this character to the Incredible Hulk. Invincible strength and an uncontrollable temper followed with a hint of rationality. Luckily, I don't turn that hideous green color. Though, I would not mind the ripped physique.

Anyways, I flew across the couch so fast that all WMD could see was a blur coming toward him. (I'm sure that if it would have been clocked, not even a cheetah could have caught me). I picked up the Kiddo by his shoulders and stared at him with my teeth showing. I had turned into a full-fledged mad woman. Esmeralda flashed back to what she would have like to do when she previously in this predicament - which was throw Bernadette Peters out a window, though I'm pretty sure my mom would have grounded me for that. Muscles were pulsating and steam was coming out of my ears. I could have done it. But alas, the hint of rationality. BP and WMD are not the same person. And the intention of the action, though so eerily similar, were not the same. And, WMD is pretty cute. So to the time-out chair he went. Kicking and screaming. Fun times!

I share this story because I am learning how to process the anger and crazy-mad feelings that come out when you are at home with a very opinionated and active toddler. He tests me. Every minute. And the test is not getting any easier with time. Quite the contrary. It is getting harder. Sometimes there is so much emotion and information that my brain feels like it's going to short-circuit (enter Esmeralda).

From what people have told me, these moments happen to everyone. Just that no one likes to talk about it (or write it down). So I'm putting it out there. I can get "off my rocker" mad at my son. And there are times that I question this whole parenting thing. But bottom line - he's the cutest, sweetest and funniest kid I know. Life without him would be miserable.

So on the day before Thanksgiving here is yet another reason to be thankful. I am thankful for the part of my brain that processes rationality. For the ability to see right from wrong and good from bad. I am thankful for having WAY more great than awful in my life. And I will forever be indebted to my husband for giving me the biggest test of my life - even if it's the hardest test I will ever take. Ahhhh, parenthood, ain't it grand?

Happy hump day!

No comments:

Post a Comment