Tuesday, December 6, 2011

R-E-S-P-E-C-T

Do you remember when you were little and you were told to respect those who were older than you? Or did that only happen in my family? For as long as I remember, I was told by my parents that those who have lived longer (regardless of race, religion or creed) ALWAYS deserve your respect. I was never allowed to call my friends' parents by their first names, I was taught to always hold the door for whoever is behind me, and I could not get away with asking for something without saying 'please' and 'thank you'. I know at the time, I thought that my parents were tyrants, but as I am raising my own son I see the value in teaching your children the hierarchy of life.

WMD is 21 months old tomorrow. He says please, thank you, excuse me (though it sounds like 'ee me'), I'm sorry and have a nice day. And, for the most part, he knows when to use those phrases. He really likes excuse me....he says it all the time - to the dogs, the random people in his way at the gym, when he's trying to get around an inanimate object. WMD does not call many people by their first name (though, he doesn't really call anyone anything right now) and is, most often, introduced to new people with Mr. or Mrs. before their LAST name.

I met a lady at B&N the other day. Her three-year-old was playing with WMD around the Thomas the Train set. Her son was hoarding all of the toys and taking things away from my son. She did nothing. When I scolded WMD for not sharing, she looked at me and said "....they don't understand what sharing is at that age anyways." Holy crap, are you serious? I am the first to admit that WMD is NOT a good sharer. It is something we struggle with daily - especially since his new favorite word is 'mine'. But that doesn't stop me from trying - EVERY TIME!

So I guess the reason for this post is this - if you have a child and are not teaching them how to be respectful and courteous people, they WILL NOT BE respectful and courteous people. This is not something they will just pick up. Start early and practice often. I have no patience for children, teens, young adults (and especially people my own age) who are assholes. I'm getting to the point where I am not going to sugar coat it if I encounter them. So take this as your fair warning. I will correct your child, I will give you a dirty look if they are rude and I will point out what a bad parent you are - to EVERYONE.

                                                           Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory, 1971

Time to jump down from my soap box. Tomorrow's hump day....time to buy some more wine!

1 comment: