Thursday, November 10, 2011

Movie Date Night with WMD

So with the recent onset of croup, WMD and I have been spending A TON of time together. It's a true statement to say that when that happens, he and I really start to get on each others' nerves. I'm not one of those moms who likes to sugar coat - anything. WMD brings be pure joy the majority of the time, but when he and I get stuck in a house together for a couple days we are usually both in agreement that we need a break from each other......and by break from each other, I mean I need to sit in the bathroom by myself and WMD is content with standing outside the door banging on it and crying.

Following the moments alone - or locked in my car, in the garage (car off and garage door open), I am struck with how much my life has changed since WMD became a part of it. It only takes one smile, one hug, or one silly dance move to "She'll Be Coming Around the Mountain" to make me remember that even during the crazy times, the stressed out times, the "I'm so glad God made you cute...." times, I really wouldn't want to be in any other place at any other time. Admittedly, I never thought I would want to have kids. But now that WMD is here and rearing, I'm loving life. However......

WMD and I are cut from the same cloth. My dad always said he couldn't wait for me to have a child just like me....He got his wish. Stubborn, daring to a fault, and able to find every button that needs (or doesn't need) pushed - literally and figuratively - WMD is everything I was as a child (and pre-teen, and teenager, and grown adult). These traits always seem to creep up on house-tied days. When I'm cleaning, WMD is uncleaning. When we're painting, WMD is eating the paint. When the Pups are trying to "find a happy place, find a happy place", WMD is jumping all over them (he has yet to figure out that teeth and growls means get off me). It gets tense up in here. Tempers on edge, for sure.

So after a day where there was a lot of raised voices and some crying - not only by the Kiddo - I decided that WMD and I needed to end on a good note. I rounded up the entire zoo into the car and headed into town for a long walk (2.5 miles) and a surprise visit to SleepySven at work. When we got home it was so dark that all I wanted to do was go to bed. But instead of calling it a night, I fed the Kiddo, gave him a bath and put him in his cute new PJs. I grabbed WMD's blanket and brought him back downstairs for a quite night of cuddling and movie watching. He picked one of his favorites (and mine, too), Monsters, Inc. 

At the end of the movie WMD was getting very cuddly and tired. Nothing warms my heart more than my sleepy little guy and all the hugs and cuddles that come with it. I'm glad he and I got to have our own quite moment tonight. It was so sweet to have WMD with me at the end of the movie, when I always cry.

Above my bed there is a sign that says, "Always Kiss Me Goodnight." It's a motto I have come to live by, not only with my hubby, but with my Kiddo and Pups, too. Even on the worst day, nothing makes me feel better than a kiss from someone I love. I got my cuddles and kisses tonight. And I will admit freely - I feel AWESOME!


Let's hope the awesome hangover lasts through tomorrow! Another day......
 



 

No comments:

Post a Comment