Sunday, November 13, 2011

New Week.....New Beginnings.....

For me, every Sunday night is like a lesser version of the night before Christmas for a 4 year old. There's always the aura that the upcoming week is going to be AMAZING! A far cry from opening gifts, my anticipated presents come in the forms of catching the Kiddo before he launches himself off my bed, getting the Pups back in the house with one whistle, and getting some part of the house cleaned and made pretty. And - if there is a BIG BOW moment - I actually find something that makes my house look less like a 25 year old college student and more like a chic, hip married lass (yep, I used the word "hip" - I'm lame). Oh yeah.....and maybe some ADULT TIME with SleepySven - even just a conversation with someone over the age of 2 is considered adult time in my book.

I sit down at the table, plan out my week of events - chores, field trips, arts and crafts projects, workouts, etc - and bask in the thought that the upcoming week will be different than last week. That everything will go precisely as planned. I will pretend to think that I have a Kiddo who likes to sit still for longer than 2 minutes, two Border Collies who won't run off and roll in poo when given "time alone", and a husband who will stay up long enough to parley with me once he gets home.

I am not delusional. Rarely does my week come close to this.....if one day goes 10% right it's something to get excited about. That's why I invest in wine. A lot of wine. (now that I have learned that skipping the wino factor is detrimental to my sanity) I have found that Trader Joes sells a great 1.5L Cab Sav for $8. Enough to keep this momma sane for at least 2-3 days. And cheap enough to make me not feel guilty for feeding my need.

I am a list maker. I have done it my entire life. Lists are everywhere - my purse, my phone, my planner, my mind. I used to follow my lists to the T - except when I was in college and always would come to the conclusion that a nap was a far better investment of time than studying. It has taken me 32 years to realize that if I don't complete everything on my list in the time frame I have allotted the world will not end. I have learned that throwing things does not make any of the list bullet points go away (though it does feel good - I'm Italian, and because I'm not a boy, punching walls is not acceptable). And I know that if I were to force the list on all around me the only person who would be even remotely happy would be me - and even that is questionable.

I write this post with only one goal in mind: Remind myself that though this upcoming week may not be perfect, in hindsight it will have been filled with some of the best memories of my life. Perspective Momma, perspective.

I hope that your week is full of more ups than downs, more highs than lows and, of course, some great vino!

No comments:

Post a Comment